Saturday, October 25, 2008

It was a dark and stormy night...


Well, I've committed to the whole NanoWriMo experience.

I don't know why this makes me nervous because realistically, no one will ever see it, no one really has an expectations from me as a writer, and it's not like I'm getting paid for doing it.

That said, maybe I'm more anxious than nervous.

My story is actually going to be about the Pony Express.

I'm a huge Western fan and my beef (ha ha!) is that there aren't a lot of them.

I mean, really! We get one Western a year in the movies (that are all usually pretty good) but it leaves me wanting another.

There will never be another Western as good as "The Outlaw Josey Wales" It is perfection. I'm not asking for perfection (okay, maybe I am) but where are the days of Gunsmoke, Bonanza, or Rawhide? Where is the next Louis L'Amour?


You know what's sad? The best Western series I've seen in a while is a sci-fi series (Firefly) that's no longer in production.

It's gotten so bad in the lack of a good Western that Australia is now becoming the runner up for best Westerns (not to be confused with the hotel chain.) Their Westerns are as good (if not sometimes better) than American ones... or those Spaghetti Westerns that PRETENDED to be American ones.

So, Clint, this one's for you and Marion and Roy.

3 comments:

marilyn said...

Shell, you go for it! My daughter has done NaNoWriMo for the last two years and is going to try again this year. She always gets to about 50,000 words and then gives up. But, maybe this year will be the year she actually finishes a novel in a month! Anything is possible :) Just don't let it interfere with your knitting!

Alan said...

More westerns? Abso-rootin-tutely, pardner! Can't wait to read it!!

Lostcheerio said...

GO GO GO GO GO GO!!!!

The game is on, girl. Git scribblin, partner!

You make a good argument for reintroducing the genre. I can hear the pitch now!